Research in this area has included regime analysis of rivers and canals; computation
and regression analysis of extensive data on sediment transport in rivers, canals and
laboratory flumes; bridge waterway scour and hydraulics of flow in curved channels and
around groynes. Selected publications arising from these studies are listed below.
- Mainali, A and Rajaratnam,N. 'Hydraulics of debris flows', ASCE Journal of
Hydraulic Engineering, Jan. 1994, vol 120, No. 1, pp.104-123.
- Hicks, F.E., 'Ice as the Geomorphologic Agent in an Anastomosing System',
Proceedings, 7th Workshop on Hydraulics of Ice Covered Rivers: Environmental Aspects of
River Ice, August 1993, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
- Jin, Y-C. and Steffler, P.M. , 'Predicting the Flow in Curved Open Channels by a
Depth-Averaged Method', J. of Hyd. Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 119, Jan., 1993, pp. 109-124.
- Steffler, P.M. and Jin, Y-C., 'Depth Average and Moment Equations for Moderately
Shallow Free Surface Flow', J. of Hyd. Res., IAHR, Vol. 31, Jan., 1993, pp.5-18.
- Rajaratnam, N. and Aderibigbe, O. 'A method for reducing scour below vertical
gates. Proc. Instn. of Civil Engineers', U.K., Water, Maritime and Energy Journal, Vol.
101, 1993, pp. 73-83.
- Ahmed, F. and Rajaratnam, N. 'Observations on flow around bridge piers', Proc.
ASCE Hydraulics Conference, 1992, 6 pages.
- Mainali, A. and Rajaratnam, N. 'Laboratory measurements on debris flows', Proc.
of the 11th Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, CSCE, Vancouver, B.C., 1991, pp. 146-154.
- Jin, Y-C., Steffler, P.M. and Hicks, F., 'Roughness Effects on Flow and Shear
Stress Near the Outside Bank of a Curved Channel', J. of Hyd. Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 116, No.
4, April, 1990.
- Hicks, F., Jin, Y-C., Steffler, P.M., 'Flow Near a Sloped Bank in Curved
Channel', J. of Hyd. Engrg., ASCE, Vol. 116, No. 1, January 1990.
- Hicks, F.E., Steffler, P.M., Peterson, A.W. and Rajaratnam, N., 'LDA Study of
Flow in Bends', Proc. CSCE Annual Conference, Saskatoon, Sask., May 1985.
- Steffler, P.M., Rajaratnam, N. and Peterson, A.W., 'LDA Measurements in Open
Channels', Proc. ASCE, J. Hyd. Div., Vol. 111, No. 1, January 1985, pp. 117-130.
- Steffler, P.M., Rajaratnam, N. and Peterson, A.W., 'Water Surface at a Change of
Channel Curvature', ASCE, J. Hyd. Div., May 1985.
- Rajaratnam, N. and Nwachukwu, B.A., 'Erosion near Groyne-like Structures', J. of
Hyd. Res., IAHR, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 277-287, 1983.
- Gerard, R., 'Scour in a Sand-bed river: Field Measurements and Questions'.
Proceedings of Workshop on Bridge Hydraulics, CSCE, Banff, Alberta, April 1983, pp. 67-87.
- Peterson, A.W., 'Gravel Bed River Regime and Scour Estimation', Proceedings of
Workshop on Bridge Hydraulics, CSCE, Banff, May 1983.
- Parker, G. and Peterson, A.W., 'Bar Resistance of Gravel-Bed Streams', J. of the
Hyd. Div., ASCE, Vol. 106, No. HY10, Proc. Paper 15733, October 1980, pp. 1559-1575.
- Blench, T., Galay, V.J. and Peterson, A.W., 'Steady Fluid-Solid Flow in Flumes',
Hydrotransport 7, 7th International Conference on the Hydraulic Transport of Solids in
Pipes, Japan, November 4 -6, 1980.
- Peterson, A.W., 'Resistance, Charge and Slope Equations or Mobile Boundary
Channels', Proceedings of Transport Processes and River Modelling Workshop, National Water
Research Institute (NWRI), Burlington, Ontario, November 1978.
- Peterson, A.W., 'A Note Regarding Scale Selection for Mobile Boundary River
Models', Proceedings of Transport Processes and River Modelling Workshop, NWRI,
Burlington, Ontario, November 1978.
- Peterson, A.W. and Howells, R.F., 'A Compendium of Transport Data for Mobile
Boundary Channels', Environment Canada and University of Alberta, Revised, 1978.
- Blench, T., Cooper, R.H. and Peterson, A.W., 'Graphic Coordination of Mobile-Bed
Channel Data, Hydrology Review, Vol. 1, No. 2, October 1976, pp. 30-37
Back to Major Research Areas
Back to Water Resources Main Page